THIS PAGE WAS LAST UPDATED 12.29.2020
WHAT'S OPEN? WHAT'S NOT? WHAT'S VIRTUAL?
- Aquatics Center is open by reservation for lap swim only! Please visit the Aquatics home page for more details!
- We have moved some of our group fitness classes outside to adhere to physical distancing regulations and are offering online classes via zoom! Visit the Fitness Page to learn which classes are in-person or virtual. Click here to see the group fitness class list.
- Early Childhood Education get details here!
- Kids’ University waitlist here!
- Senior Meal Delivery Program – outside to adhere to physical distancing regulations.
- The Building is closed to visitors. ECE and KU All Day programs are currently the only programs operating inside the building.
- The Fitness Center (Cardio and Strength Studio) is currently closed due to government mandates. This includes the Basketball Courts and all fitness center amenitites.
- Rentals are on pause until further notice, go to our rentals page for more info.
- Over 15 group fitness classes! We are continuing to offer many of our group fitness classes via ZOOM! Click here to see the class list.
- Specialty Group Fitness Class. From Private Yoga to Senior Strength Classes, click here to see the class list.
- All of our Jewish Life & Culture Events Click here to see what’s going on this month!
HEALTH & SAFETY GUIDELINES
- For the safety of all members, it’s required to wear a mask outside of the pool and limit your conversations across lanes. For group fitness classes, it’s required to wear a mask while check-in and before and after the class but not during a group exercise class.
- Please know that we are asking all swimmers and personal training participants to enter and exit through the pool gates, adjacent to the Health Check-in Station.
- Every member and non-member MUST complete the Health Check Questionnaire before coming to the J in an effort to speed up the check-in process. Once you complete the questionnaire, you will receive a confirmation email with a pass or no pass, depending on your answers. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contact list to avoid your confirmation email being sent to your junk mail. Once you get to the J, just show us your email, we’ll take your temperature, and we’ll give you the Health Check Sticker!
- Please continue to arrive 10 minutes in advance of your reserved time in order to go through this process.
Health & Safety
While the JCC was recently closed due to COVID-19 positive cases and possible exposure among our staff, this decision was made to protect our staff and members. During this time, our building has been cleaned and sanitized. We are proud of our partnership with the developers of the GermFalcon™–the UV light system used to sanitize surfaces. On a regular basis, our Alpert JCC cleaning staff follows CDC Guidance for Childcare Programs and the recommended cleaning and disinfecting procedures.
From August 3rd onward, our goal is to remain open into the Fall. Our community has consistently communicated to us about the critical need for childcare services.
Transparency and consistent communication is essential to our process. Every agency and employer balances respect for the employee and member confidentiality and privacy. Staff, parents, and members will be promptly notified of any critical incidences, significant exposures, or need to quarantine. What will the procedure be if a student/member or staff tests positive? If there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 at the AJCC, management staff will follow the guidance from the local health department, CDC, and our Medical Advisory Team guidance.
We are unable to guarantee that your child or our members will not be exposed to Covid-19 or that the JCC is 100% safe. Given community-wide spread of the virus, exposure in any public or group setting is a distinct possibility. Our goal is to follow the recommendations of the CDC and local leaders to create protocols and procedures to minimize risk.
Teachers in the same age group do have small windows of time that they cross over. Teachers who are in separate age groups do not cross over as each age group has their own entrance and exit from the center. The health and safety guidelines in place allow us to minimize risk of significant contact.
While the health department requires us to report after 3 cases in a two-week period, we recently closed the building to mitigate any further spread and because the community is facing unprecedented numbers and rates. We also had a number of staff who had been exposed to relatives outside of the building who had tested positive.
Our Medical Advisory Team, composed of family physicians, pediatricians, a pediatric infectious disease specialist, and a school nurse, meets regularly to review all procedures and cases, and to make recommendations regarding COVID – 19. We consult public health officials when necessary.
Each day families are required to fill out documentation prior to arrival. There are a series of questions that determine if a family can come into the center and school that day. The survey then gives the family a pass or fail. If the family does not pass, they are not admitted to school. Any student or family on quarantine would not be permitted to return until the completion of the quarantine period.
All staff who were potentially exposed were instructed to quarantine for 14 days.
There, of course, is always a risk. In our recent case the health and safety guidelines helped contain spread and allowed us to quarantine significant contacts. Living in a community where there is a high rate of infection and spread, it can be challenging to keep the outside world outside. Our procedures try to minimize contact risk and spread.
They are asked to remain home for 14 days.
As soon as we are notified we ask that they remain home for 14 days.
During closings, the building operates on a skeleton crew and none of those working in the building (e.g. doing deep cleaning) were identified as a close contact to those who tested positive.
Any child in the cohort of the impacted teacher was notified regarding the need to quarantine. The building was closed as a precaution. Students who are not part of the affected staff member’s class are not officially recommended to quarantine. We closed the building to mitigate any further spread and because the community is facing unprecedented numbers and rates. It became increasingly hard to keep the outside world outside and increasingly hard to manage staff absenteeism.
People who have COVID – 19 symptoms are asked to isolate for 10 days. People who have been exposed to individuals who have tested positive for COVID – 19 are asked to quarantine for 14 days.
Each family was notified IF their child came in direct contact with any JCC employee that tested positive. Some families elected to get tested while others just waited out the 14 days. For the families who elected to get tested each family has reported that their child and each member of their family that got tested received negative results.
N95 use exceeds the ability of the AJCC’s training, capability, and resources. Not only are N95 masks recommended for healthcare workers who have direct, intensive care with known COVID-19 patients, these masks are in short supply. Use of N95 masks requires specialized training; they require a fit test on an (at least) annual basis. This device has limited availability, and is not currently recommended for school/preschool use.
It is now shown that surgical masks provide more protection to the wearer. The AJCC will now provide these masks to all employees.
Routine testing of asymptomatic workers is not currently recommended in our setting nor feasible. Tests are currently in very short supply. We do not have internal testing capabilities. Our procedures markedly reduce the risk of transmission, promote a clean and sanitary environment, and immediately isolate any symptomatic or infected individual from further contact with students, staff and members. We are pleased to report that health and safety measures were followed. Therefore, we are not requiring further testing of our staff.
Anyone with immune compromise should consider a consultation with their own healthcare provider before attending AJCC programs.
Given the situation in Long Beach, Los Angeles, Orange County, and California as a whole, infections will continue to present themselves for the foreseeable future. No system or process can keep the outside world at bay.
Our plan is to remain open to serve our students and families. Our procedures will focus on risk reduction and mitigation of spread should future cases occur.
Please keep us posted, and notify us promptly. This will help with our planning and tracking of potential exposures. All of us communicating as much as possible will help.
Making a Reservation
- Members must make a reservation via the My J app to reserve a spot for each class. Click here to see how to download, create an account, and reserve a lane.
- It’s important to reserve your space for a class 24 hours in advance so instructors know members will be there! The class will be canceled on the day of if no reservations have been made by 8:30 am. Thank you for your understanding.
- Be sure to check the notifications in the My J app daily for announcements and about the cancellation of any of our classes.
- Members are allowed to book 7 days in advance.
- Last minute bookings can be made the same day if available
If you do not have a smartphone but would like to make a reservation, please use the following phone number or email. Please keep in mind that the app has the most up to date information.
call (562) 426-7601 x 1421
Fitness & Aquatics
No. The basketball courts are not open at this time.
No, The Fitness Center ( Cardio and Strength Studio) is currently closed due to government mandate. We will continue to monitor the situation, as soon as we are able to reopen we will be sure to let you know.
Locker rooms are open for toilet use only. The showers and lockers are closed.
WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH EVENTS
Out of an abundance of caution and concern for the health and well-being of our members and staff, we have decided to cancel all Adult and Fitness programs and services until further notice. Good news! Some programs and events are available online! Visit https://alpertjcc.org/fitness-