MANY WAYS TO SERVE YOUR COMMUNITY
PUT YOUR EXPERIENCE TO WORK WITH RSVP
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program, launched nationally in 1971, was established to provide meaningful opportunities for persons 55 years of age and above to participate more fully in the life of their community through volunteer service. RSVP matches the skills and life experiences of adults who are willing to help with local organizations and agencies. The RSVP network connects more than 208,000 seniors to volunteer opportunities with organizations across the country. RSVP ensures that senior volunteers’ skills are best matched to the needs of local organizations and communities.
Service opportunities are diverse, and may include:
- Tutoring and mentoring
- Delivering Meals (Meals on Wheels)
- Food Rescue
- Friendly Visitor
- Providing services to the homeless and the disenfranchised
- Becoming a Long Beach Fire Ambassador
- Peer support and referrals as a Long Beach Senior Police Partner
- Supporting your local Community Center
VOLUNTEER FOR YOUR COMMUNITY WITH JCC CARES
JCC Cares provides opportunities for the Alpert Jewish Community Center to participate in Tikun Olam (repair the world) through volunteer experiences that contribute to the well-being of the greater Long Beach area and beyond.
The J Ambassador Program is designed to provide exceptional customer service to our members and visitors. Trained J Volunteer Ambassadors provide assistance to members by offering guidance or information fostering a hospitable and friendly environment and serving as an entry point to the Alpert Jewish Community Center and all of its’ services and programs.
- Friendly, outgoing personality
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Ability to approach and communicate in English (bilingual a plus but not required) and comfortably articulate with a wide diversity of individuals
- Ability to interact with fellow volunteers and work in a team environment
- A willingness to learn about the Alpert Jewish Community Center and to be informed about current programs and offerings.
- Reliability – a minimum commitment of 4 hours per week
- Dedication – commit at least 6 months to the program after training
- Be committed to providing exceptional customer service
- Enthusiasm is a plus
- Attend a 1 hour comprehensive interview, orientation, and shadow shift until comfortable
- Volunteer 2-4 hours a week
- Be flexible and reliable
- 6 months commitment to serve as J Ambassador after training
Interested individuals may contact Gayle Ehrenberg, RSVP Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 562-426-7601 ext. 1013
- Respond to inquiry in a positive, professional manner
- Use the volunteer manual and program schedule to direct members and visitors appropriately and accurately
- Provide information on accessing services and navigating the building
- Be alert to AJCC changes; read updates before starting every shift.
- Project a warm, friendly, and hospitable impression of the Alpert Jewish Community Center
- Answer phone calls
- Special recognition/social functions with fellow volunteers
- The satisfaction that comes when helping others
- Enjoy a sense of purpose and fulfillment (helps support isolation and depression)
- Staying connected to your community
- Makes you smile ☺
START THE PROCESS, SIGN UP!
SERVICES WE OFFER
SENIOR MEAL DELIVERY PROGRAM
Before COVID-19, our popular Senior Wednesday Lunches provided the opportunity for seniors in our community to eat a healthy, well-balanced meal, and a time to socialize and be part of a group. When COVID-19 hit, we had to close our doors and stop all programming, including our Senior Wednesday Lunch program. We felt it was important to keep this service going through the pandemic and decided to bring the meals to our senior adult community directly to their homes!
If you have any questions, please contact Susan Paletz, Director of Development at email@example.com